Its been about 2 years since I did upgraded my Y axis and I've been planning the upgrade of the X / Y axis ever since. I've had a general idea of what the new final build will look like but there were many final points I wasn't sure about. Even as I write this there are still some details I have no idea about like how I will connect the X axis motor drive.
I've put it off long enough and thinking about it won't help as there are some things I just need to see and work on as I go so I am better off getting on with it instead of thinking about it.
So Why do I want to update? The original design was a Joes Hybrid 4X4 cut down to 2 & 3 to suit the area I have available in my workshop. It has been a great machine but it is also has developed an issue with the X / Z carriage. It is made from MDF which is an excellent material for making things. I'm just not sure MDF is the best choice for mechanical items like this especially 10 years on and after it has done as much work as it has. I could have just cut a new carriage and probably had it replaced in a day but I want to try something new.
With all this in mind I am just going to get on with it and start the build, or in this episode the tear down. I have given myself 2 weeks to get it back up and running so lets see how I do.